News Politics Anastasiades: Efforts for a Cyprus solution continue

Anastasiades: Efforts for a Cyprus solution continue

Cyprus President has underlined that the government continues with sincerity, determination and boldness its efforts for a settlement to the problem of Cyprus, divided since the Turkish invasion of the island in 1974.

He stressed the need for a peaceful settlement that will allow the establishment of a modern European state and will give both Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots the opportunity to co-exist on the island.

Anastasiades noted that this must be done within conditions of security, democracy, by safeguarding human rights and by making sure that there is no danger for events, that took place in the past due to the Turkish stance, to be repeated.

The President noted that the international community and Europe are making efforts for a Cyprus settlement, that the relations of Cyprus with the US have been strengthened and referred to the visit he recently paid to Moscow which shows, as he said, that no member of the international community is ignored by Cyprus.

Anastasiades, who was speaking during a ceremony, on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of Cyprus` anti-colonial struggle of 1955-59, noted that the Cyprus problem remains the primary national challenge.

He said that the intransigence of the Turkish side has not allowed for a fruitful dialogue on the Cyprus problem to take place during the last two years. Referring to his decision to suspend his participation in the UN-led Cyprus talks, he noted that its was inconceivable for him to continue this dialogue under the threat of Turkish military weapons, war ships or army.

He noted that the decision for dialogue and a peaceful settlement of the Cyprus problem has been something indispensable, calling for similar efforts by all those who can exert pressure on Turkey as well.

In October 2014 President of Cyprus Nicos Anastasiades suspended his participation in the talks following a Navigational Telex or NAVTEX, issued by Turkey in October last year, as Turkish seismic research vessel “Barbaros” violated the Republic’s exclusive economic zone.

Repeated calls for the withdrawal of “Barbaros” went unheeded by Ankara, which announced in January the NAVTEX`s extension until April 6, 2015.

Source CNA

Top