News International Judge blocks deportations following Trump's refugee order

Judge blocks deportations following Trump's refugee order

A federal judge in New York issued an emergency stay temporarily halting the removal of individuals detained after President Trump issued an order to ban immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the US yesterday evening.
 
The move appears to mark the first successful legal challenge to the Trump administration and affects those who have arrived in the US with previously approved refugee applications or were in transit with valid visas.
 
US District Court Judge Ann Donnelly ruled in favour of a ‘habeas corpus’ petition filed by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of two Iraqi men who were detained at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Friday after Trump signed his order.
 
“IMMINENT DANGER”
 
Donnelly, who was nominated by ex-President Barack Obama and confirmed to her judgeship in 2015, ruled in the Eastern District of New York that "there is imminent danger that, absent the stay of removal, there will be substantial and irreparable injury to refugees, visa-holders, and other individuals from nations subject [to Trump's order].”
 
“This ruling preserves the status quo and ensures that people who have been granted permission to be in this country are not illegally removed off US soil," said Lee Gelernt, Deputy Director at the ACLU’s Immigrants’ Rights Project.
 
The ruling deals with a portion of Trump's order handed down Friday, which bars Syrian refugees indefinitely and halts the resettlement of all refugees for four months as the administration reviews the vetting process.
 
The order also denies entry for 90 days for individuals from seven predominantly Muslims countries: Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Libya and Yemen.
“IRREPARABLE HARM”
 
“Clearly the judge understood the possibility for irreparable harm to hundreds of immigrants and lawful visitors to this country," ACLU Executive Director Anthony Romero said.
 
"Our courts today worked as they should as bulwarks against government abuse or unconstitutional policies and orders. On week one, Donald Trump suffered his first loss in court.”
 
The order Saturday evening capped off a chaotic first day following Trump's directive, as the administration moved to implement his order, with reports emerging of individuals being detained at a number of airports across the country.
 
“IT’S NOT A MUSLIM BAN”
 
"It's not a Muslim ban, but we are totally prepared," Trump told media on Saturday afternoon as he signed three new executive orders on lobbying, a plan to defeat so-called Islamic State and reorganising the National Security Council.

"It's working out very nicely. You see it in the airports, you see it all over. It's working out very nicely and we are going to have a very, very strict ban and we are going to have extreme vetting, which we should have had in this country for many years," affirmed Trump.

REACTIONS ABROAD

Criticism of Trump's decision has been growing louder outside the US.

Iran is threatening a reciprocal ban on US citizens entering the country.

Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany issued a statement saying "even the necessary, determined fight against terrorism does not justify placing people of a certain origin or belief under general suspicion".

A spokesperson for UK PM Theresa May said she "did not agree" with the restrictions, and French independent presidential candidate Emmanuel Macron tweeted: "I stand with the people fleeing war and persecution".

UK Foreign Minister Boris Johnson has tweeted out in support of UK nationals whether at home or abroad.

He said: “We will protect the rights and freedoms of UK nationals home and abroad.  Divisive and wrong to stigmatise because of nationality.”

Trump has tweeted back in his defence, saying that the US needs stronger borders and vetting, pointing a finger at attacks in Europe.

 
Source: The Hill, BBC, The Guardian
Top