The Grammar School Nicosia: An All-round Education
“At the Grammar School each child is special. The curriculum is formed in such a way that takes into account the different skills and abilities of each student. At the same time we guide students according to global developments in areas such as technology, science and culture in order to prepare them for their professional careers.”
- Akis Gregoriou, Director-General
The Grammar School’s pleasant and friendly environment along with a plethora of activities and school events provide the foundations for an academic, as student-oriented, all-round education.
• ENVIRONMENT Students attend lessons in an idyllic, peaceful and safe environment since the school premises are located outside the city and away from the dangers and temptations which this entails. The school provides a bus service for the safe transportation of children to and from home.
• EDUCATION / ADVISORS The main objective of The Grammar School is to have a well-organized school community in which children respect their teachers, their peers as well as the environment regardless of the social and economic background of the family. Special advisors educate teachers and students and also undertake cases that need counseling.
• TEACHERS The Grammar School employs 102 teachers, who have the responsibility not only to teach their subject, but more importantly, to interact with students and assist, where possible in order to resolve any issues that may arise. Their role is to guide students both morally and academically. The average age of Grammar School teachers is 40 years and the ratio of teachers to students is 1: 8.4.
•TECHNOLOGY The Grammar School Nicosia is a MICROSOFT Showcase School and a pioneer in the use of technology in the classroom as well as Robotics, through the creation of the school’s Innovation Centre. Teacher-student-parent communication is facilitated through the use of technology. Students, if absent, are able to watch the lesson at home through the Office Mix method. Parents also receive immediate information about the work of their children through GSNETLIFE.
• STEM Program (Science Technology Engineering Mathematics) The Grammar School is the first school in Cyprus to incorporate STEM into its curriculum. Students who attend STEM programs are given an important advantage for their admission to universities worldwide. Students wishing to participate in this program are selected based on their academic performance.
• CULTURE The Grammar School has staged theatrical performances for decades, which have been awarded in national competitions in Cyprus and Greece. The annual Grammar School Cultural Evening has become a strong tradition. It is attended by hundreds of our fellow citizens while others watch it through live streaming on the internet. Part of promoting culture is the organization of other activities such as the Talent Show, the Music Festival and Literature Workshops.
• ATHLETIC PROGRAM This program started last year in collaboration with the Arsenal Soccer Schools and it was included from the beginning in the regular school curriculum without affecting the high academic level of students. This is Arsenal's philosophy on which the cooperation with The Grammar School is based, as well as the association’s high standards in football. It is further noted that in the new academic year the Grammar School Athletic Program will also introduce swimming and basketball programs as well as the existing soccer program.
• UNIVERSITY - HIGHER EDUCATIONAL ADVISORY TEAM Through the large number of courses offered, Grammar School students are able to succeed and excel in the G.C.E. A Level exams and thus enter the best universities in the UK including the ones in the Russell Group. The Higher Educational Advisory Team frequently visit universities in the UK in order to receive direct information about their academic requirements. Furthermore, there are frequent presentations to Grammar School students by universities, such as Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial College, King's College, Nottingham, Manchester, Leeds, Southampton and many others. In the last three years, professors from the Engineering Department of the University of Bath (ranked 3rd in the UK in Engineering subjects) have organized a "Robotics Challenge" at the Grammar School Innovation Centre for A Level Physics students. 21 Grammar School students have been accepted at the University of Bath in the last three years. From 2014 – 2016, 9 Grammar School students were accepted to study at the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford while 170 entered universities in the Russell Group to study Medicine, Dentistry, Engineering, Business, Arts, Science and many more. It is worth noting that Grammar School students are well equipped for university life, since they have the opportunity to participate in committees, clubs, sports and are socially active and prepared for a dynamic and successful future.
For more information about The Grammar School Nicosia you can visit the school or the school’s website www.grammarschool.ac.cy or contact by phone at 22 695695 or write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.